Translate

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Laziness and some food for thought

Today I don't feel like doing anything~

NO. EVERYDAY I don't feel like doing anything. Ever since internship started. Arghz. Was fine for a while but the reading starts to get really boring and I don't feel like really starting on any actual stuff cuz it is different from my schedule. Yea im uber inflexible when it comes to certain stuff.

Anyway, lotsa movies to comment n review on (long past movies, though. all from dear old youtube. good thing they haven't been brought down yet. Amazing. Just watched an uber disturbing movie on friday night...hopefully I find the motivation n time to start writing a post on it), but just haven't gotten off my ass to do it, though technically I have to be on my ass to type it or my legs and back will be so sore afterwards.

Sidetrack, was emailing a friend an uber long post in response to our back and forth emails nowadays, came across this idea/thought whatever, it's totally true and this sheds a light on human psychology or should it be called sociology? I think it's both? Though I cannot be sure since I have never studied psych nor socio.

Why is it that ppl try their best not to cry in the movie theatres? I shed tears silently n I scratch my nose or adjust my specs at the important parts. I think almost everyone else does that. Its sorta like a social norm. Like everyone is thinking "eh if no one else is crying at this scene n I am touched to tears, won't i look like a lame, weak person?" and its cuz we ALL think that way, so we ALL don't show it when we are crying. If someone had the guts to bawl their eyes out and a few other people followed suit, the rest of the theatre would most probably do the same and the theatres would flood. Its the same with comedies. There have been studies done that show a higher probability of us laughing if watching in a theatre compared to watching comedies alone. The laughing or maybe simply just sniggering from others affects us, and we feel sorta obliged the same way we feel obliged not to cry out loud, or rather it makes us feel, hey it's a normal thing to laugh at this part, I can laugh out loud as much as I want! Plus laughing is contagious, that's another reason. But I think so is crying. Just that it's the tears themselves that are tear-inducing for me, so I have to see someone cry before I feel like crying myself. Sometimes if the character is convincing enough, I can cry with them. Otherwise the plot has to be really good. Or both.

But really, the main point is, this is really food for thought eh. We really obey social norms too much. And really, who the hell put these norms into place? We are responsible. Cuz we could change it. But only if a larger group of us had the guts to do something out of the ordinary that somehow it becomes the ordinary and the norm. It's like fashion and technology. Something bizarre comes and if it is somehow being assimilated well with all of us although it used to be a social "un-norm", it will soon evolve to be a norm. Humans are so susceptible to change and yet so hardy to it sometimes, stubborn like hell. The irony. Oh, and actually, come to think of it, the reason why not all "un-norms" get accepted is cuz sometimes it takes the right people and the right era at times. Like for fashion, I get the feeling that mostly its the already-famous designers that get away with awkward designs that are hailed as fashion breakthroughs while the noobies' works might be labelled as ludicrous. Only way to judge that is to bluff those self-acclaimed fashionistas blah to judge a piece of work w/o knowing who designed it. Of cuz, I don't know much about fashion so I shall shut up. About era, humans are susceptible to change but it takes time. The world 10 years back is very different from the world now, I guess partly because I have grown with the world and matured as well but also I think the values are different. And TV shows are getting more and more explicit and stuff that I don't understand why kids nowadays can watch certain stuff on TV that I don't even remember seeing when I was a kid. And also why kids nowadays know a lot more stuff beyond their years than my generation back then. So a ludicrous idea back in those days will really be labelled such but perhaps now, it would be considered by some as innovative.

No comments:

Post a Comment